Sunday, July 31, 2011

Update: July 31, 2011

Assalamu alaykum and hello!

Well, it’s finally here: Ramadan! Well, almost. Not quite yet.

This time of year holds a special meaning for all Muslims in every corner of the globe. Many look forward to this particular month, and the excitement climbs more and more as it approaches. Ramadan is a time for Muslims to improve themselves in their deen and do all they can to draw closer to Allah subhana wa ta'ala. It’s a month filled with studying, praying, worshiping of all kinds, and of course fasting. To top it off, Ramadan ends with ‘Eid al-Fitr, a huge festival celebrating the breaking of the fast.

However, while Ramadan has the same importance to me as it does the average Muslim, it is also a special time for me beyond that. Four years ago, I was sitting on my bed. It was then that I said the shahadah, the words that made me a Muslim. The next morning, I excitedly told a Muslim acquaintance in an email that I had converted. He congratulated me before informing me that Ramadan had started. It was the next year before I realized I had coincidently converted the night of Ramadan. Thus you can see why, beyond the usual reasons, Ramadan is a special time for me.

Therefore, whenever Ramadan comes around, I have a strong urge to better myself, mainly from a spiritual and religious aspect, but in others as well. And this blog is one of those areas I feel I need to devote more time to. To some, this blog may be more than a plain ‘ole blog. Since I’ve started blogging, it’s evolved into a way of daw’ah, or preaching about Islam. Of course, not all of the content on my blog can be classified as daw’ah, but the little that is benefits me. I’m speaking about Islam and Muslims…and the truth, not the fairy tales Western media feeds us. So why am I not blogging more? Good question.

Unfortunately, over the last several months, I haven’t gotten around to giving as much attention to ‘The Story of a Muslim Convert’ as I would have liked to. Especially in the last month or two. I know I’ve said several times in the recent past that I would return to posting regularly only to have that plan (or those plans rather) fall flat. But, this is Ramadan, insha’Allah a new start so to speak.

And thus from today, insha’Allah I will be posting every day. Already there is a new post every day: Daily Qur’an and Hadith, which has continued even when I didn’t get around to following through on my plans. But I’m speaking of the main content, the posts you all (hopefully) come to read, those Sunday-through-Thursday posts. I’ll finish off the week with the Friday update and ‘Islam in the News’ on Saturday, a new addition I’m eager to work on.

So, wish me luck as I return to blogging regularly insha’Allah. Remember, you’re always free to leave comments or send me an email! Enjoy!

Iman

No comments:

Post a Comment