If I had a dollar for every time someone thought I was a nun, I would have a cornucopia of dollars by now.
Are you a nun?
No, I’m not a nun.
Are you a Mormon?
No, I’m not a Mormon.
Are you a Mennonite?
No, I’m not a Mennonite.
The only question left is whether or not I’m Amish or Quaker (and no, I’m not either).
Here in South Dakota, there aren’t many Muslims. Sioux Falls is host to a fair population of Muslims, but 3500 is a small number compared to a city population of 154,000 and a metro population of over 225,000. I’ve been in Sioux Falls for three months and have only seen one Muslim (that I know of) myself. Of course most people are Christian with Lutherans being the largest group, followed closely by Roman Catholics.
Most Muslims in Sioux Falls are immigrants and refugees from Africa. Most nuns in Sioux Falls are descended from European settlers. So I guess I can see how the average person would mistake me for a nun rather than a Muslim. My fair Celtic/Nordic skin and greenish-blue eyes belie my European heritage. So when someone from Sioux Falls sees me with my hair covered, they probably think it’s more likely that I’m a nun rather than a Muslim.
But not all Muslims must be Arab or South Asian or Southeast Asian or African. I may be 99% European with fair skin and eyes that aren’t brown or black, but that doesn’t prevent me from being a Muslim. Islam is a religion for all, no matter ethnicity, race, or appearance.
No comments:
Post a Comment