Yes, I have somehow managed to catch the flu while here in the UK. Alhamdulillah it’s mild and I get over the flu relatively quickly; after one or two days the fever breaks. The only tough time is at night when the sleeplessness hits me. Add high humidity and a naturally warm room, and it’s even harder to sleep. Now, if I had been at home, I would have reached for the Nyquil. Anytime I have trouble sleeping because of an illness, I take a small dose of Nyquil, which puts me right to sleep.
But, I just learned Nyquil has alcohol. Now this really isn’t a huge deal nor does it mean I can never take it again. There are varying opinions about the issue of alcohol in medicine among Muslim scholars. Some say it’s fine so long as it doesn’t impair mental ability, some say a certain quantity is okay, and others strictly outlaw consuming alcohol in medicine. So depending on which opinion a Muslim follows, taking Nyquil to help relieve the effects of the flu is fine.
However, this situation highlights something all Muslims living in the West should do: read the ingredients of products unless the product is specially labeled as being halaal. Many products produced and sold in the West contain haram products.
One such example is gelatin. Gelatin can be found in so many products. There are the obvious foods: gelatin desserts (like Jell-O), marshmallows, gummy candies, trifles, candy corn, Poptarts, Peeps. Other products use gelatin as a stabilizer, thickener, or texturizer, such as jams, yoghurt, cream cheese, and margarine. Fruit juices, like apple juice, and vinegar are sometimes clarified using gelatin. A fact less well-known, gelatin is also used to stabilize beta-carotene, which is often used in soft drinks as a coloring agent.
Gelatin’s use is not exclusive to food. Many pharmaceutical capsules make use of gelatin to make them easier to swallow. As a surface sizing, it can be used to smooth glossy printing paper or playing cards and maintain the wrinkles in crêpe paper. Some cosmetics include a variant of gelatin called hydrolyzed collagen. I used a specific face wash for a few years until I read the ingredients one day out of boredom and came across gelatin. Never would have guessed I’d find gelatin there!
While gelatin is one of the biggies, many other ingredients are haram. Two closely related ingredients are whey and rennin. Rennin is an enzyme taken from the stomach of a newly killed calf and is used in the cheese-making process. In the process of producing cheese, a coagulum is formed by clotting milk with rennin. When that is cut, a watery liquid known as whey is released and drained off. The curd is further prepared to become cheese while the whey can be used in cream, butter, cheese, drinks, and syrups.
Other ingredients to avoid include vanilla extract (artificial vanilla is fine), alcohol, bone phosphates, cochineal/carmine, glycerine, l-cysteine, magnesium stearate (and stearic acid), shellac, emulsifiers, and any other animal by-products. Not all of these are found in food products. For example, magnesium stearate is often found in medicines, specifically tablets.
Some of these ingredients are not always haram. There are different ways to produce ingredients, like emulsifiers. Emulsifiers can originate from animals or vegetable sources. This is true for several common ingredients. Certain chemicals can by synthesized including stearic acid. There are also many substitutes in these modern times. Gelatin substitutes for vegans and vegetarians commonly are produced using plants rather than animals.
Also, some of these ingredients can be derived from halal animal sources so long as the animals are slaughtered in the manner specified by the Qur’an and hadith. Therefore it is possible to consume such products as cheese and gelatin originating from animals.
Yet it can be tough to learn whether or not these ingredients are halal and this safe for Muslims to eat or not. Unless one has a direct line to the producer of the food (or just anybody who knows exactly what is in the food), it is much better to play safe than be sorry. Muslims should avoid anything that is suspect, even slightly so. This grey area is termed mushboosh, and a good practicing Muslim should prevent himself or herself from eating/consuming such products.
Therefore, it is best to either completely avoid food with haram ingredients or stick to foods and other products labeled halaal. Even products labeled safe for vegetarians does not guarantee there is not some other haram ingredient (e.g. alcohol). Products imported from a Muslim country nor products imported into a Muslim country ensure the permissibility of consumption.
Remember, if there is no halaal label, check the ingredients, investigate. Learn the common haram ingredients and stay on the lookout while shopping. There are many Muslim websites online that list haram ingredients or products. I have included some links at the end of this post. Memorize these ingredients or keep a small list of them close by when shopping. Insha’Allah this will help in avoiding the ‘hidden’ and ‘unknown’ haram products so common in the Western world.
‘Forbidden to you for food are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars).’ Qur’an 5:3
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/
http://www.canadianhalalfoods.com/

i didn't know it would be so hard living in US. so from now on you wouldn't eat marshmallows?
ReplyDeletei had come across a hadith, i cant translate in english accurately but what it had meant was that alcohol is not a medicine but it is a disease.
do you think even the things used to make wines but are not alcoholic or bad are haram too? like an ingredient used in nihari but is banned in saudi arabia because it is used for making wines, is it haram too?
I've never really liked marshmallows much, so I don't eat them in the first place. The things I miss the most are gummy candies (although I know there are plenty of halal versions on the Internet) and Jell-O, which was one of my favorites!
ReplyDeleteAnd I have heard that hadith, or read it somewhere...I can't remember where exactly...but anyway, I know the one you're thinking of!
As for your last question, I would have no idea. I personally would still use it so long as it wasn't haram (no alcohol, pork, haram meat, or a product of any), but I really don't know much. If I heard a reason and was given proof as to why I shouldn't, then I would stop. I'm sure there are arguments as to why such things would be haram or illegal if they are...whether or not they are legitimate arguments is the question. I would ask a scholar about that to be on the safe side!
Also certain mouthwash and toothpaste contain alcohol however according to some Sheikhs these products can be used if its not intoxicating.
ReplyDeleteWith regard to some medicines that contain alcohol, if the effect of the alcohol in the medicine can be seen in the form of intoxication, then it is haraam, but if no effect is seen, and the alcohol is only added to it as a preservative, then there is nothing wrong with it, because the alcoholic content does not have any effect.
and one thing more i was reading the contents of shampoo and there was some sort of alcohol in it too! what about it?
ReplyDeletewahaj -- I think the alcohol in mouthwashes and toothpaste contain isopropyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol...at least in the West this is true. Rubbing alcohol is created by combing water and propene...it doesn't have any intoxicatinge effects and is not the same as ethyl alcohol (the stuff that can intoxicate people). It's called alcohol but isn't the same as the alcohol people drink to get drunk.
ReplyDeleteNamrah -- It depends on what sort of alcohol it is. Ethyl alcohol is the alcohol found in alcoholic drinks, so of course this is the alcohol that should be avoided. Others usually don't cause intoxication when consumed. However, I would ask a scholar...I don't know exactly which types should be avoided and which ones are okay.
thanks.
ReplyDelete