Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Royal Wedding

As the 29th approaches, news websites are filled with tidbits and articles about the upcoming royal wedding. All the sites I visit regularly to read the news – with the exception of Pakistan’s English-language Dawn – always have something about the wedding. And being in the UK, I’ve of course heard much about it in other ways too. But, as it has nothing to do with anything I’m interested in, I’ve mostly been ignoring the issue.

However, I came across an interesting video on the US version of CNN this morning. Here’s the link: http://us.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/04/26/exp.arena.royal.wedding.choudary.cnn?hpt=C2

For those of you who might not want to watch the video, let me sum it up. In the short interview, Anjem Choudary warns that the royal celebrations are a potential target for terror attacks. The interviewer asks him if he is actually planning to bring violence to the event. Choudary answers, ‘We are going to use the platform on the 29th of April to show the world that the Muslims will never remain silent when the British and the American government are committing atrocities against them. If we can use this platform to withdraw the troops from Muslim countries to stop atrocities being committed against our brethren around the world, then we will do so no matter if it’s a wedding or a funeral. We will take every opportunity to support our brothers and sisters around the world and to save innocent lives.’

Before I comment on the above statement and the interview in general, let me say a little about Anjem Choudary as I’m sure few know much about him. In fact, I did not know he existed until a few days ago when I came across another, unrelated, video on YouTube. Born and raised in England, the Pakistani Briton is what officials label a radical Muslim activist. He has been a part of several pro-Islam groups: al-Muhajiroun (banned in the UK), Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaah (successor to al-Muhajiroun), Al Ghurabaa (also banned in the UK), and Islam4UK (surprise! banned in the UK as well). According to Wikipedia, Choudary ‘is a vocal critic of the UK's involvement in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and has praised the terrorists involved in the attacks of 11 September 2001, and 7 July 2005.’ Anjem Choudary is also a very big supporter of implementing Shari’ah law in the UK.

Currently, he is a member of the group known as Muslims against Crusades. The group was planning to ‘wreak havoc at the royal celebration’ and warned other Muslims to stay away from the festivities. Their website calls for ‘an overthrow of the tyranny of Queen Elizabeth II.’

Now, back to the interview. Do I agree with these views? Do I think the Muslims against Crusades group is right to ‘wreak havoc’ at the upcoming wedding?

Absolutely not.

In fact, I happen to be in the majority. Alhamdulillah very few of the UK’s Muslims support Anjem Choudary and his views.

Yes, it is true that countries such as the UK and the US are committing atrocities in Muslims countries. Many innocent Muslims – men, women, children – have died at the hands of foreign soldiers.

How many soldiers have died since September 11th, 2001?

According to iCasualties.org, a little under 5,000.

How many innocent Muslims have died since that fateful day?

I couldn’t find an estimate from a reliable source, but I can guarantee you it is far more than 5,000. And there are probably millions who are suffering because of the actions of these foreign militaries whether it is because they are/were injured, they lost family, they lost their homes and livelihood, or for some other reason.

So yes, the US’s, UK’s, and other countries’ presence in Muslim countries is rarely good for Muslims there. As Muslims we should care and protect our brethren at all costs. Our Ummah is like one body; even if only one teeny, tiny part is pricked with a needle, we should feel it as a group.

However, violence is NOT the way to go about fixing this issue and removing troops from Muslim countries. For one, Muslims are obliged to stay within the bounds of the law in whichever country they reside in. In other words, Muslims can protest peacefully while they can’t bring about any sort of violence.

I am a big supporter of peace and working things out in a non-violent manner via dialogue. It does hurt me and sadden me to hear what my fellow Muslims are enduring in countries occupied by foreign forces, but I try to keep in mind that what these foreign powers are doing is good. Drastic, violent measures on my part will do little to help those suffering. As someone recently out it, all we can do is follow the command of Allah and pray for ease; the rest lies in His hands.

Muslims like Anjem Choudary are one of the reasons the regular Muslim is seen as someone to be wary of, someone who might be a threat. Unfortunately the media concentrates on these radical Muslims rather than the average Muslims, the ones who do not agree with the views of the more extreme Muslims. But, that’s a topic for another post insha’Allah.

There is good news though. The spokesperson for Muslims against Crusades, Abu Abbas, has reported that the group has abandoned plans to protest. Allahu akbar!

I pray Allah subhana wa ta'ala protects the royal couple, the royal family, and all in attendance on this joyous occasion! And I hope Prince William and the soon-to-be-Princess Cathrine have a long-lasting marriage full of happiness and joy!


1 comment:

  1. we Muslims r said by our prophet "don't harm women and children during war"our prophet our religion teach sympathy and peace....we should maintain our difference from cruel to show the world what r real teachings and picture of Islam. that`s the best way to preach Islam.

    ReplyDelete