Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Islam in Sioux Falls, SD

Last week, I came across a rather surprising fact: Sioux Falls, SD, has an Islamic center. I was reading through the Wikipedia page for Sioux Falls and the religion section mentioned an Islamic center, which was a completely novel concept for me. The website for this center states there are over 3500 Muslims living in Sioux Falls, most of them refuges from sixteen different nations.

So why was I surprised to discover this? Well, let me tell you a bit more about Sioux Falls.

For one, it’s a city situated on the eastern border of South Dakota – close to Minnesota – for those of you who don’t know. According to Wikipedia, the population of the actual city is 158,008 with a metropolitan population of 238,122. Now, such a relatively small population (when compared with much bigger cities) is not something that relates to the unlikelihood of finding a Muslim population there.

Instead, the unlikelihood – at least to me – is the fact that it’s, well, South Dakota. The majority of Muslims in the US are immigrants or are descended from immigrants. The only exception would be converts. Immigrants tend to travel to places with large populations where there’s greater potential to find a better life. South Dakota is not known for large populations. In fact, it’s the 46th most populous state in the US, with only four other states having a lesser population.

Plus, it’s a Midwestern state. If someone says ‘Midwest’ and ‘religion,’ I doubt Islam is going to be the first thing that pops into your head. I think most people tend to consider the heartland to be mostly Christian with small populations of different religions in the larger cities, like Minneapolis or even Omaha. But Sioux Falls? South Dakota? I certainly don’t think of Islam when I think of religions in South Dakota.

However, the biggest reason as to why I was surprised? I’ve been to Sioux Falls many times and I have never seen a Muslim. See, I was born in Madison, South Dakota – a small town of 6000 less than an hour away from Sioux Falls – and raised there and in Yankton, South Dakota – a relatively larger town of 13,000 about an hour and a half away from Sioux Falls. I have several family members in Sioux Falls, including my grandparents, one aunt and her family, and a second aunt. I’ve spent many a day in Sioux Falls, as a youngster and in the last few years since I’ve converted. During my last two or three visits, all of which lasted a week or so, I never even caught a glimpse of a Muslim. I was all over the city – shopping malls, grocery stores, restaurants – and not one Muslim did I see. I will have to admit I learned my aunt’s family has Muslim neighbors during my last visit, but I never would have guessed there were 3,500 others in and about the city!

In the end, I’m glad to hear Sioux Falls has over 3500 Muslims and an Islamic center. For me, only when the religion begins to filter out of the cities and into areas with smaller populations will Americans start to see the true Islam and start to see that not all Muslims are out to kill the ‘infidels.’ Hopefully Sioux Falls can serve as a model for future Muslim communities seeking refuge in smaller cities.

And I might just have to stop by this Islamic center next time I’m in Sioux Falls!

----------------------------------------------------

Here’s the link to the center’s website in case you’re interested: http://www.icsiouxfalls.org/

7 comments:

  1. Demographics are really surprising in some cases. I was shocked to discover Minneapolis was the number one gay city in the us, above San Fran!

    It is cool to know a bit of the history associated with it and why there is an Islam center. You never know unless you begin to dig I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I never would have guessed Minneapolis was so diverse -- largest Somali population outside of Africa, one of the largest Hmong populations in the US, a sizable East Asian population and South Asian population, gayest city as you mentioned, and who knows what else -- until I lived there and experienced it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part of the reason that you may not "see" the Muslims in SD is that only 1/2 of Muslim women wear hijab. You'd never know from my appearance as a white, non-hijabi Muslim woman who lives in Pierre!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is true! It wasn't too long ago that I didn't wear a hijab and if someone didn't know me they would not have been able to tell I was Muslim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As salaamu alaikum.

    I am Zuber from Bangalore, India. I will be flying to US in mid July and stay until Ramadhan inshALLAH. I am on a official visit relating to my IT job. Could you kindly let me know whom to contact to get to masjid or Islamic centre around. Ramadhan will inshALLAH co-incide with my visit and I want to make the most of this month. Your suggestions are appreciated. May ALLAH help us all. Aameen

    Pls mail me at mailzuber@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sioux Falls has a considerable immigrant population given its size and location. I think the biggest reason is Lutheran Social Services and perhaps other organizations in the area have long fostered refugees coming to Sioux Falls. A lot of sponsoring (to ensure there is a church or someone to pay for their needs) of refugees in Sioux Falls area.

    ReplyDelete