Over the last few days, the protests and chaos in Egypt has been splashed across the pages of newspaper and fill up the home pages of most news websites. As someone who likes to kill time perusing news sites, it’s been impossible for me to avoid the goings on in Egypt. Plus, I have a very dear friend who lives in Egypt so I have been following the recent events closely. Now, I haven’t done much in-depth reading, but I did come across a video that caught my attention, mainly because it was about the University of Minnesota, which is the university I attended for a short time. Here’s the link: http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=904352.
The part that I wanted to mention, the part that caught my attention, was a statement of Mohammad Ateya: ‘Our Muslim people went to Friday prayers and Christians were protecting them while they prayed.’
Now, this is a great thing and is the sort of camaraderie Muslims and Christians should have all the time. So often we hear about the crimes Muslims are committing against Christians, or we hear about the confrontations between the two religions. I can’t think of any other instance in which I heard Christians and Muslims working together, one protecting the other. It’s hard for me to explain how great this made me feel. All I can say is Allahu akbar! If only Christians and Muslims can continue to coexist so well.
Anyway, I just thought I should mention this. We should keep the people of Egypt in our prayers and du’as as this chaos and turmoil continues. Allah keep them safe! Muslims and Christians alike!
That is such a powerful story. I am so glad they prove they can get along! Glad you started blogging. Can't wait to see you and your faith grow. Makes me a bit of a humanist I guess. So many faiths! So little coexistence!
ReplyDeleteNothing like political unrest and protests to bring everyone together...at least they are working towards a common goal...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment!